Are you looking for a kick butt workout? Give spinning a try!! It’s intense, great for your glutes and your legs!! Here are a few reasons to give spinning a try.
1.They’re more fun than most classes. Well at least in my opinion! I have no coordination, so a step class, or a kick boxing class are out for this gal!! I have always found spinning fun, high energy and a challenge!
2. Indoor cycling classes make you a better cyclist. If you like hitting the roads and paths in the nicer months of the year, indoor options can keep you trained.
3. People who spin are eage, and motiviated!! When others are working hard, it makes you want to work hard.
4. You have your own space!! WOO HOO!!! With indoor cycling, everyone has their own bike, and you never crash into your fellow cycler.
5. It a serious calorie burn!! The number of calories burned depends on your body weight, so let’s do some quick math. This is rough, but if you take your weight in pounds, and multiply that by 0.4, that’s how many calories you burn per hour just living. If you weigh 150 pounds you’ll burn 60 calories an hour on the couch. Trade that couch for a stationary bike and the numbers go way up. AND for moderate effort means you multiply those 60 calories by 7, for a total of 420 calories burned per hour. Go at a hard effort, and you can multiply it by 10, for a total burn of 600 calories per hour. Remember this is based on a woman weighing a 150 pounds.
6. It can give you a great looking butt and legs. And who wouldn’t like that? Think about it, when you’re going hard, mimicking hill training, it goes beyond aerobic training and makes the larger muscle fibers work, developing excellent muscle tone. Since you are focusing on your lower body, you might want to get some weight training in as well.
7. You’re not the only one sweating buckets, EVERYONE is!!
8. No one knows how hard you’re working. So if you need to back off on the resistance you can. You should never feel intimidated by the fit peeps in your class. You will get there one day! Everyone’s got to start somewhere and the joy of cycling is you work at your own pace! WARNING, make you that you don’t keep the tension so loose that your legs whip around too fast, that can cause injury! You need to decide how much you crank the bike tension based on what you feel you can
So it’s that time…change of workout time. I needed something to give me that additional push, something that will keep me engaged and wanting more. My new workout, which I am LOVING involves working out on the Kinesis Wall!
You might not be familiar with it, not too many places have it. I will have pictures to follow. So what is it!? Cable pulleys that are hidden behind wood paneled walls. These cable pulleys allow for a natural full range of motion in any possible direction away form the wall, while maintaining constant resistance. P.S Kinesis will helpcore strength, improve your balance, flexibility and muscular coordination in more than 5oo PLUS possible movements.
Did I mention that I get my sweat on!?! LOVING IT!
When you are using the Kinesis, you can combine cardiovascular and resistance workouts so that your time at the gym can be decreased. Who doesn’t love the sound of that!? Kinesis targets large, multiple groups of muscles so productivity increases as well with decreased time. AND it allows for a lot of practical push-and-pull type exercises that can be combined with movements, such as the lunge and squat.
Training on the Kinesis can benefit your sport as well. How? Many sport specific motions can be translated to the Kinesis. For example: Golfers, you can work on strengthening the motion of your swing, just like you were standing at the tee. Plus you can practice your different strokes. You can also incorporate plyometrics with your training.
Want know more? Check in tomorrow
Need a midday pick me up? Try a creamy Papaya Smoothie is nutritious and refreshing. Plus, it will only take you 5 minutes to prep it!! Yum, yum!
1 cup (250 mL) crushed ice or 6 ice cubes
1 ripe papaya, peeled
2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
2 cups (500 mL) plain yogurt
Pinch of ground ginger (this is totally optional)
Sometimes it can be hard to stay out of the Halloween candy. I’m sure you don’t want to go back out to the store to buy more candy. How can you avoid snacking on all the sugary treats!? Try some of the tips below. And GOOD LUCK! 🙂
Buy candy you don’t love. If the candy in your pantry is stuff kids like but that you don’t enjoy, it will be easier to resist opening those bags and diving in. For most of us, that means anything but chocolate.
Out of sight, out of mind
Ask your co-workers to keep their candy jars and bowls inside their desks or stashed in a cabinet in the break room so you won’t be tempted every time you see it. If they want to keep candy on their desks, ask them to use a colored container with a lid so you can’t see inside
Savor one piece of your favorite candy a day
Decide what time of day you most relish the sweet stuff, and save your special treat for that time. Then sit back and slowly savor the taste sensation.
Sugarless gum gives your mouth a burst of sweet sensation for very few calories. “Studies have shown that gum chewing can also help [you] relieve stress, mentally focus on tasks, satisfy a sweet tooth, overcome the urge to eat candy, and help manage hunger pangs to hold you over until your next meal,” says Sandon.
Replace the candy with better choices
Make the see-food diet work in your favor by putting out a bowl of colorful fruit or veggies in place of the candy.
Move the candy jar
Chances are if you have to move for it, you won’t want it.
Count the empty wrappers
It’s so easy to pop fun-size candy bars into your mouth that you can lose track of how quickly the calories are adding up.
Take a walking break
Getting away from your desk for a breath of fresh air can invigorate you and help you get over the mid-morning or mid-afternoon slumps that are often mistaken for hunger.
Manage your hunger
Eat breakfast before coming to work and plan for a few healthy snacks along with a satisfying lunch. Your preplanned meals with keep you feeling satisfied and make you less likely to raid the candy bowl.
I had to share this list that I came across on BestHealthMag.ca
We might forget certain snacking “rules” when the urge strikes. And we could be picking the wrong snacks or snacking too often. Which can derail your diet. So how can you snack smarter?
✓ Instead of buying snacks at a movie or sports event, chew a stick of sugar-free gum.
✓ At parties, stand as far away as you can from bowls of chips, dips, and other munchies.
✓ If you like to munch in the car, bring only a single serving along. Put the rest in the trunk.
✓ If you buy jumbo-size snacks to save money, divide them into single-serving containers as soon as you get home.
✓ Put the healthiest snacks where you’ll see them when you open cupboards or the refrigerator.
✓ Don’t snack in your office, go somewhere else (cafeteria, lounge, outside). That way you won’t associate your office with food.
✓ At home, enjoy your snacks in the kitchen … and nowhere else.
✓ Don’t eat to relax. Relax, then eat.
What are some of your favourite snacks?
When life gets crazy, and your stress starts to rise what should you do? Sleep it off? Or get up and start moving!?
According to a recent study, exercising will melt that stress away!
It’s no secret that exercise has been associated with improved moods, stress reduction and it is sometimes prescribed as a natural treatment for depression and anxiety. Science Daily suggests that working out will create a positive and sustained affect on a individual’s state of mind.
Going for a job, taking a spin class, walking, weight training, etc.. May actually help a person better cope with stress and anxiety in the hours, and even days, after they leave the gym.
The study also found that 30 minutes of physical activity would help a person stay cool and calm in a stressful situation, compared to the same amount of rest.
And I am sure there are many people out there that would agree with the study! I know I do.
Are you dragging your butt lately!? Could you use a little more energy!? Who couldn’t use more energy. Three things that work for me, might just work for you!
1. Schedule in a workout!
Getting in a quick workout can actually boost your energy levels (Another reason why I like to workout in the morning) they won’t deplete them. It’s all about give and take with our bodies. When you move around, your body rises to the challenge, giving you the energy you need. According to a study that was published in the Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, researchers had sedentary, healthy adults do just 20 minutes of low-to-moderate-impact aerobic exercise at least three days a week. They found it put a large dose of extra pep in their step
2. Becareful what you snack on
Some foods boost your short-term energy levels, but they’ll leave you feeling foggy and lethargic a few hours later. Stay away from alcohol, caffeine, and sugar!!
3. Hydrate! Then hydrate again and again!
Don’t reach for caffeine, unless it’s decaffeinated Green Tea!! Or Black Tea! Sometimes we drag our butts because we don’t get enough water!!! If y our body is not hydrated, it could affect your mood and energy. Plus by not getting enough water your body might confuse thirst for hunger. Drink up!!
When you’re in a rush, your workouts can be neglected. Which is not ideal. So what can you do in a short period of time? Try high intensity workouts, in a short period of time. How!? Using compound exercises.
Compound exercises will help boost the efficiency of your workouts. When you perform exercises that target multiple muscle groups, both the effectiveness and intensity are increased. When you perform exercises that target multiple muscle groups, both the intensity and effectiveness of the workout are increased.
Need some examples!?
Upper Body Compound Exercises:
Pushups, Standing Military Press, Dips, Pullups/Chinups, Clean & Press, just to start
Lower Body Compound Exercises:
Deadlifts, Lunges, Squats, use a sled to push/pull, and give hip trusts a try
**Remember: Consult a doctor before starting a program/routine**
The best core strength training workouts are those that require strength, speed, coordination and balance.
So with that being said, what move should you try?
Give the squat and press a try.
The squat and press is a compound movement that works almost every muscle group in your body. Crazy huh?
Let’s break it down: While doing a squat and press the force generated from top to bottom puts your core to work by requiring it to tighten up throughout the entire movement. Sweet!
- First, get into starting position by grabbing a pair of dumbbells; one in each hand.
- Make sure you can safely shoulder press the weight you choose, with good form, a minimum of 12 times.
- Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart.
- Bring the dumbbells up over your shoulders so your palms are facing forward, elbows are out to the side and your arms are bent at a 90 degree angle.
- To Squat down by bending your legs at the knees until your thighs are almost parallel to the floor. Make sure your knees do not pass your toes.
- Stand back up while keeping your abs tight–push up from the back of your heels.
- Right before you reach the top, begin to shoulder press the dumbbells by pushing them straight up toward the ceiling.
- Slowly bring them back down.
Try doing 12-15 reps, 3 to 4 sets