Are you looking for a kick butt workout? Give spinning a try!! It’s intense, great for your glutes and your legs!! Here are a few reasons to give spinning a try.
1.They’re more fun than most classes. Well at least in my opinion! I have no coordination, so a step class, or a kick boxing class are out for this gal!! I have always found spinning fun, high energy and a challenge!
2. Indoor cycling classes make you a better cyclist. If you like hitting the roads and paths in the nicer months of the year, indoor options can keep you trained.
3. People who spin are eage, and motiviated!! When others are working hard, it makes you want to work hard.
4. You have your own space!! WOO HOO!!! With indoor cycling, everyone has their own bike, and you never crash into your fellow cycler.
5. It a serious calorie burn!! The number of calories burned depends on your body weight, so let’s do some quick math. This is rough, but if you take your weight in pounds, and multiply that by 0.4, that’s how many calories you burn per hour just living. If you weigh 150 pounds you’ll burn 60 calories an hour on the couch. Trade that couch for a stationary bike and the numbers go way up. AND for moderate effort means you multiply those 60 calories by 7, for a total of 420 calories burned per hour. Go at a hard effort, and you can multiply it by 10, for a total burn of 600 calories per hour. Remember this is based on a woman weighing a 150 pounds.
6. It can give you a great looking butt and legs. And who wouldn’t like that? Think about it, when you’re going hard, mimicking hill training, it goes beyond aerobic training and makes the larger muscle fibers work, developing excellent muscle tone. Since you are focusing on your lower body, you might want to get some weight training in as well.
7. You’re not the only one sweating buckets, EVERYONE is!!
8. No one knows how hard you’re working. So if you need to back off on the resistance you can. You should never feel intimidated by the fit peeps in your class. You will get there one day! Everyone’s got to start somewhere and the joy of cycling is you work at your own pace! WARNING, make you that you don’t keep the tension so loose that your legs whip around too fast, that can cause injury! You need to decide how much you crank the bike tension based on what you feel you can
I promised a picture of the Kinesis Wall, and I have been slack with the blog. It was bound to happen, I only maintain three blogs. Ha ha
Here is what the wall looks like.
And you are thinking to yourself, wow that doesn’t look like much. Oh ya!? Try doing a 30 minute circuit. By the time I am done, I am a sweaty mess! And I only do a 30 minute circuit. I only sweat like that after a 60 minute spin class.
So it’s that time…change of workout time. I needed something to give me that additional push, something that will keep me engaged and wanting more. My new workout, which I am LOVING involves working out on the Kinesis Wall!
You might not be familiar with it, not too many places have it. I will have pictures to follow. So what is it!? Cable pulleys that are hidden behind wood paneled walls. These cable pulleys allow for a natural full range of motion in any possible direction away form the wall, while maintaining constant resistance. P.S Kinesis will helpcore strength, improve your balance, flexibility and muscular coordination in more than 5oo PLUS possible movements.
Did I mention that I get my sweat on!?! LOVING IT!
When you are using the Kinesis, you can combine cardiovascular and resistance workouts so that your time at the gym can be decreased. Who doesn’t love the sound of that!? Kinesis targets large, multiple groups of muscles so productivity increases as well with decreased time. AND it allows for a lot of practical push-and-pull type exercises that can be combined with movements, such as the lunge and squat.
Training on the Kinesis can benefit your sport as well. How? Many sport specific motions can be translated to the Kinesis. For example: Golfers, you can work on strengthening the motion of your swing, just like you were standing at the tee. Plus you can practice your different strokes. You can also incorporate plyometrics with your training.
Want know more? Check in tomorrow
Sometimes it can be hard to stay out of the Halloween candy. I’m sure you don’t want to go back out to the store to buy more candy. How can you avoid snacking on all the sugary treats!? Try some of the tips below. And GOOD LUCK! 🙂
Buy candy you don’t love. If the candy in your pantry is stuff kids like but that you don’t enjoy, it will be easier to resist opening those bags and diving in. For most of us, that means anything but chocolate.
Out of sight, out of mind
Ask your co-workers to keep their candy jars and bowls inside their desks or stashed in a cabinet in the break room so you won’t be tempted every time you see it. If they want to keep candy on their desks, ask them to use a colored container with a lid so you can’t see inside
Savor one piece of your favorite candy a day
Decide what time of day you most relish the sweet stuff, and save your special treat for that time. Then sit back and slowly savor the taste sensation.
Sugarless gum gives your mouth a burst of sweet sensation for very few calories. “Studies have shown that gum chewing can also help [you] relieve stress, mentally focus on tasks, satisfy a sweet tooth, overcome the urge to eat candy, and help manage hunger pangs to hold you over until your next meal,” says Sandon.
Replace the candy with better choices
Make the see-food diet work in your favor by putting out a bowl of colorful fruit or veggies in place of the candy.
Move the candy jar
Chances are if you have to move for it, you won’t want it.
Count the empty wrappers
It’s so easy to pop fun-size candy bars into your mouth that you can lose track of how quickly the calories are adding up.
Take a walking break
Getting away from your desk for a breath of fresh air can invigorate you and help you get over the mid-morning or mid-afternoon slumps that are often mistaken for hunger.
Manage your hunger
Eat breakfast before coming to work and plan for a few healthy snacks along with a satisfying lunch. Your preplanned meals with keep you feeling satisfied and make you less likely to raid the candy bowl.
When life gets crazy, and your stress starts to rise what should you do? Sleep it off? Or get up and start moving!?
According to a recent study, exercising will melt that stress away!
It’s no secret that exercise has been associated with improved moods, stress reduction and it is sometimes prescribed as a natural treatment for depression and anxiety. Science Daily suggests that working out will create a positive and sustained affect on a individual’s state of mind.
Going for a job, taking a spin class, walking, weight training, etc.. May actually help a person better cope with stress and anxiety in the hours, and even days, after they leave the gym.
The study also found that 30 minutes of physical activity would help a person stay cool and calm in a stressful situation, compared to the same amount of rest.
And I am sure there are many people out there that would agree with the study! I know I do.
When you’re in a rush, your workouts can be neglected. Which is not ideal. So what can you do in a short period of time? Try high intensity workouts, in a short period of time. How!? Using compound exercises.
Compound exercises will help boost the efficiency of your workouts. When you perform exercises that target multiple muscle groups, both the effectiveness and intensity are increased. When you perform exercises that target multiple muscle groups, both the intensity and effectiveness of the workout are increased.
Need some examples!?
Upper Body Compound Exercises:
Pushups, Standing Military Press, Dips, Pullups/Chinups, Clean & Press, just to start
Lower Body Compound Exercises:
Deadlifts, Lunges, Squats, use a sled to push/pull, and give hip trusts a try
**Remember: Consult a doctor before starting a program/routine**
The best core strength training workouts are those that require strength, speed, coordination and balance.
So with that being said, what move should you try?
Give the squat and press a try.
The squat and press is a compound movement that works almost every muscle group in your body. Crazy huh?
Let’s break it down: While doing a squat and press the force generated from top to bottom puts your core to work by requiring it to tighten up throughout the entire movement. Sweet!
- First, get into starting position by grabbing a pair of dumbbells; one in each hand.
- Make sure you can safely shoulder press the weight you choose, with good form, a minimum of 12 times.
- Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart.
- Bring the dumbbells up over your shoulders so your palms are facing forward, elbows are out to the side and your arms are bent at a 90 degree angle.
- To Squat down by bending your legs at the knees until your thighs are almost parallel to the floor. Make sure your knees do not pass your toes.
- Stand back up while keeping your abs tight–push up from the back of your heels.
- Right before you reach the top, begin to shoulder press the dumbbells by pushing them straight up toward the ceiling.
- Slowly bring them back down.
Try doing 12-15 reps, 3 to 4 sets
Meh life happens!! And sometimes we can get into a funk, it happens to us all. When it happens, it’s never fun. You feel grumpy, lethargic, etc…
We’re allowed to have those “funks”. But how do you get out of it!? Try one or more of the following suggestions.
Go for a walk – You don’t have to walk 10k! Try walking around the bloc
Try a Random Act of Kindness- Try making someone else’s day. It just might make you feel better.
Pamper yourself!! Do whatever you like to do! What makes YOU smile!?! Take a hot bath, curl up and read a book, go shopping! The choices are endless.
Get rid of the Clutter– Sometimes clearing out the clutter is one of the quickest ways to generate new and fresh energy. Tossing out trash may seem like work, but it is totally energizing once you get the hang of it.
Get outside and spend some time with Mother Nature: Getting outside and getting fresh air is one of my favourite ways to feel better. If you can’t get out of town, at least go for a barefoot run through the grasses in your yard.
Change your bed sheets – Nothing like fresh sheets!! OR…get out and purchase a new set of colorful bed linens to brighten up your bedroom.
Watch a funny movie AND laugh: Avoid the sappy, make you want to cry movies! Invite a friend to go along with you and see who laughs the hardest/longest.
Spend time with family: Watch a movie at home, go to the zoo, go for a walk together. Do something that you will all enjoy together.
For the next 30 days get rid of everything related to weight loss. You’re thinking WHAT!?!? Is she nuts!? There is a method to my madness.
Get rid of:
- Diet books
- Fitness gadgets or equipment you’ve never used
- Clothes that are too big or too small
- Scales, tape measurers, body fat scales or any other tool you might use to measure your size and shape
- Anything related to fad diets, fat burning supplements or other questionable weight loss ‘aids.’
Before you start panicking, you don’t need to throw them away. Just keep them out of sight for 30 days. Let’s focus on getting fit and healthy. Let’s forget about the pounds lost!!
Why am I asking you to get rid of the scale, tight clothes, etc!?!? Seeing those things will only remind you of how you failed. Let’s focus on new beginnings, and what you can do right now!
Skip the strict and structured diet. Just eat healthy, and every now and then treat yourself.
Keep a Journal
While keeping your journal, record what you eat, your workouts and how you felt.
When you are trying to get fit, learn how to enjoy it! How!? You will start to see the results of getting in shape. Daily tasks will become easier, your clothes will start to become loose. Think long term and not short term!! The long term will keep you focused and on track!
And remember never give up!